Friday, September 2, 2011

What you should and shouldn't buy from the produce dpt.



So, today I met a friend at Forest Park in Springfield, MA and we went for a walk and caught up in each others lives. While we were walking and talking, I told her about my alternative lifestyle actions that my family and I were taking and she was very supportive of what we talked about (Thanks Julie!). She was telling me about a chart on her friend's refrigerator that had a list of produce items you can buy from the grocery store that are "safe" and a list that you should try to buy organic because of heavy pesticide usage. I thought that was very intriguing! She was going to send me a copy, but I've researched the topic tonight because I liked it so much and wanted to share it with you all.

*The topic of why pesticides are bad for human consumption will be posted soon!

Things that are safe to buy non-organic and why:
These fruits items are safe to buy non-organic because they have a thick skin that is usually not ingested:
Papaya
Pineapple
Kiwi
Banana

These veggie items are safe to buy non-organic because they have naturally strong defenses against insects, therefore, farmers use less pesticides:
Cabbage
Broccoli
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Onions

Things to purchase organically:
Any fruit that has a skin that you ingest, or a thin skin that may allow for pesticides to seep through:
Peaches
Nectarines
Plums
Grapes
etc.

Any veggie that has skin to directly ingest:
Bell peppers
Lettuce
Zucchini
Squash
etc.


More information about the topic HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment